Friday 12 October 2007

My Profile


I am Helen Renaux - (the name I write under)

I am now British by nationality and have been for 45 years, but Anglo Indian by culture. Supposedly the Anglo Indian culture has always had an identity problem, but I have to say that I, personally, have no such thing. I know who I am and have always done so. Having said this, however, one has to admit the Raj created by design, to their own ends, the race of Anglo Indians, and then deserted them when the British left India amid chaos and mayhem and most Anglo Indians soon followed to a country they had come to believe was 'home' - England. Some migrated to Australia, Canada, USA and so on. My parents, my siblings and I chose to stay in the East and after partition - we opted for Lahore, Pakistan as that was where our home was at this traumatic moment, August 1947. Lahore was one of the worst hit cities during the partitioning of the subcontinent. Life writing on this subject is a major part of my creative writing.

I aspire to be a writer. I am interested in the genre of life writing, mostly autobiography or biographies of people I am acquainted with.

I am 81 years old and having lived through, and personally experienced, the horror of one of the most historic world events - the partitioning of the subcontinent of India and having also lived 22 years of my life under the cloak of the British Raj, or perhaps the 'yoke' of the British Raj as it is sometimes referred to, hence I have within my Writer's Note Book quite a few tales. Some pleasant, some exotic, some amusing, some horrific but all are full of event and interest.

I am an unusual 81 year old or so I am constantly informed. I suppose I do not look my age, nor do I sound like an old woman, but most of all I do not feel old. I am exhuberant, extremely curious and full of the joy of living. I love people and I think people are drawn to me. I can associate and enjoy being in the company of any age group. I automatically fit in. I love children, the wisdom that comes out of their uncluttered innocent minds, their naturalness. There is much adults can learn from them if we but listen.

I intend to use this blog as a writers diary to enter thoughts, events and other minutiae

I am also interested in poetry and hope to place some of my poems on this blog.

This, then is my introduction today.

8 comments:

jumbalooyah™ >DESIGN said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Ms Renaux. Your audience awaits...

Mark x

Helen Renaux said...

Thanks Mark you have given me my instruction and now my first 'comment'. HR - just needs another H, eh?

Fletch said...

Absolutely loved "Childhood Memoirs ...", but frustrated that there isn't an email link to get in touch.

I have an ulterior motive. I would dearly love to reproduce your article on my website, with the correct linkage and attributions in place, of course. If you visit Anglo-Indian Portal you will understand why.

Please continue with your Blogging. I am sure there is much to tell, and that there is an audience just waiting, as Mark has stated!

Terry Fletcher

Fletch said...

Forgetfulness isn't the prerogative of "Absent-minded Professors". If you are inclined to do so, please get in touch using "fletch@netcabo.pt".

Helen Renaux said...

Hi Terry

Thank you for your comment. Of course you can email me: n.probert@ntlworld.com. I look forward to corresponding. Now that I have found your email on here, I will email you first. Now I am going to visit the site you mention. Thanks again, Norma

Helen Renaux said...

Terry or Fletch - what ever you like to be called I am not sure.

Please be my guest and use my write,'Chilhood Memoirs' on the web site you have given me a link to. Extremely interesting. I loved the stories, particularly the RAF one.

Fletch said...

Terry is fine. Fletch is what I use on the web. I've even been know to answer to 'Hey You'!

Thanks for the permission to publish. I'll get to work on it right away.

Noticed you've registered on my site. Welcome! I hope you can pen a few words from time to time. I would also like to use some of your words from your 'Profile' page to add to your 'Author Profile' on my site.

Ravindra said...

"Childhood Memoirs of the British Raj" is absolutely lovely. Wish you would publish your reminiscences of railways in India during the Raj.